Rock fishing is a kind of fishing which is done from rocky outcrops into the sea. It is prominent in Western Australia and also in the South West Region.
What Are The Materials Needed?
A rod, a reel and a line could be used in rock fishing. Attracting fishes can be by artificial lures or by natural bait. When we say artificial lures, it is an artificial fishing bait designed to attract the attention of a fish. It uses motion, vibration, colour and flash. When we say natural baits, also called as live bait, it is the most effective choice since they have familiar texture, colour, and smell and it’s hassle-free in obtaining them as well. It includes the use of worms, minnows, crickets, grasshoppers, beetles, leeches and many more. There are also two types of rock fishing: ground and surface fishing.
Precautions Are Needed
However, rock fishing bestows risky and possible dangers to both levels of fishing as starters and experts. There are even long lists of accidents occurring in the South Coast of Western Australia especially between Albany and Walpole and about Esperance. Since it is risky, precautions are needed to be taken.
- When going out for rock fishing, always tell your friends and family and never fish all by yourself.
- Be with a buddy or with an expert especially when you’re a starter.
- Familiarize the area and the conditions. Inquire from locals about the area and always be mindful of the latest weather and tidal forecast before going fishing.
- Be alert; conditions may shift quickly and can differ from the regular forecasts. Observe the area first before proceeding.
- Wear light clothing like shorts and spray jacket of which you can just freely swim in case anything happens. At least wear a life jacket and carry with you a rope at all times.
- Be prepared especially for waves that could be twice your height. If you’re not sure enough of what you’re going to do, don’t fish but if you’re confident enough then why not? Just make sure to stay alert and stay calm.
Take the Challenge
If you really want to go fishing, master it. Consider it as a sport or as an adventure wherein you have to go hiking and finding a good spot to fish. In finding the good spot, convenience in walking on rocky beaches and going to remote areas should be considered and even your fear of heights (if you do have), but face your fears! It isn’t easy but take it as a challenge.
There could be times that you would only get small ones but still aim to catch big ones. Even if you’re not guaranteed for a fish, catching fish should be your top priority. Also, remember that every adventure depends on the weather. Never forget to stick with your buddy or with your expert friend. Make sure to be confident enough. If you are brave enough, you’re good to go! Enjoy your adventure!Tags: adventure, fishing, rock fishing Posted by